Tuesday, December 02, 2008

The Importance of Water

Water covers 71% of the Earth's surface and yet it remains a precious resource, especially when you're not on the city water system. When I returned home to Rose Cottage last night, Dionne sent me right back out into the cold night to find out why we had no water pressure. We thought we heard a "running water" sound, which might have meant a broken pipe, but it turned out to be the water boiling in the water heater because it wasn't refilling. Armed with flashlights, FRS radios, and our winter coats, we determined that the well pump had quit working causing water pressure to drop at both our cottage and the neighboring rental house. After resetting the electrical breakers and finding no apparent leaky pipes, we went ahead and alerted our landlord who called his plumber (personally, I think it's a mechanical well pump issue vs. a "plumbing" problem). It's only a matter of time before the clothes in the washing machine sour, the unflushed toilet stench overwhelms us, the dirty dishes fill the sink and my coworkers take notice of an unusual amount of mousse in my unwashed hair. Fortunately, the kids were just bathed and we had enough bottled drinking water to make it through the night (we don't trust well water from the tap). On a side note, the first thing I did when I got to work this morning was wash my hands in the company bathroom and it felt wonderful.

No comments: