Friday, December 07, 2007

Chicken Coop Progress (and Delays)


After getting off to a good start, I came down with a cold and I wasn't in any condition to be working outdoors on the chicken coop. When I got to feeling better, we had other errands and chores to do and our weekends quickly slipped by. Then I got a muscle cold in my neck this past weekend so no progress was made, although Dionne did order the "foil bubble foil" insulation and we have a giant roll ready to cut and apply to our wire frame. The arches are hand-bent rebar inserted into some spare PVC pipe for vertical support. The whole thing is held together with a few nails and lots of zip ties. The 2x4 wood frame makes it portable. Next we need to cut the end walls and door, then put some layers of tarp, old sheets and foil-bubble-foil insulation over it all to keep the chickens warm in the cold days ahead (ironically it's like 78 degrees Fahrenheit as I type this). It won't be anything like this one, but we're still novice coop-builders. More pics of our construction can be found here.

No comments: